Re: [Hampshire] Cheap and Easy NAS

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cheap and Easy NAS
Philip Stubbs wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> It is about time that I had a proper back-up solution for my home
> machines. At the moment I just randomly copy stuff between machines
> that I think is important. I have a dual booting laptop
> (Windows+Ubuntu) a Desktop (Ubuntu) and my noddy home server which
> runs Debian.
>
> I could simply plug an external USB drive into the server, and back up
> to that. However, I understand that it would be better to keep it
> separate, and therefore I was wondering if anybody has a suggestion
> for a simple device that I could attach to my network that I can back
> up to.

I've got an ICYBOX nas4220 for ~£100 then add up to two disks (I put 2x
1GB for £180 so total £280 for 2GB storage). Just ensure you buy Maxtor
disks (Samsung don't work with this box) e.g. 1Tb Maxtor DiamondMax 22,
Hard drive (STM31000340AS)

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Drive+Bays/External+(For+SATA+Drive)/ICY+BOX+IB-NAS-4220-B++2x3.5%22+SATA+HDD+?productId=30150

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductID=696370&source=froogle

It runs Linux and you can add SSH support + more.

http://forum.nas-portal.org/showthread.php?t=3453

Scroll to the bottom to see my post.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk