Re: [Hampshire] Cheap and Easy NAS

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cheap and Easy NAS

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x567fd100.hantslug.org.uk.24021': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Feb 25 15:21:25 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Philip,

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 01:33:04PM +0000, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> All I worry about is a drive failure. It has happened before, and will
> happen again. I don't need to be able to go back X number of days for
> a previous version of Y or recover deleted Z.

If you don't care about the possibility of you or your software
corrupting your data then all you need is to set your file server up
with a sensible RAID configuration. A couple of extra disks are
cheap and easy to fit inside all but the most cramped cases.

Personally I find human and software error damages my data more than
bad drives do, so I would never describe the above as anything
approaching a backup. But that's just me and my possibly unusually
high levels of incompetence and/or bad luck.

Cheers,
Andy