Re: [Hampshire] Cheap and Easy NAS

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cheap and Easy NAS
> I know that many are amazed at how slack some peoples backups are, and
> I know that my current situation is among them. However, in my
> defence, my computer is more a toy than a business tool. My life would
> not grind to a halt should all my computers go up in a puff of smoke.
>
> That said, I have now got a few gigs of photos that I would like to
> protect. *snip*

I know my solution isn't great, but consider it good enough :)

I don't have a backup hard disk. My photos are burned onto DVDs which I
then post / take to my parents house whenever I visit. I keep in check
with the photo backups about once a month, I don't take enough photos for
it to be worthwhile any more regularly than that.

Everything else, while it would be a pain if I lost it, like all my old
emails, I won't care *that* much if it all went up in smoke. But my photos
would be annoying to lose, especially now I have a young baby that I need
to keep photos of to embarrasses him in the future with :D

Remotely stored DVDs containing the photo backups should be enough for me,
and apart from the pain of starting to back them up in the first place it
is easy to keep on top of.

Every now and again I check the oldest DVD to see if I can still read it,
so far so good, but I've only been doing it for 12 months.