Re: [Hampshire] Cheap and Easy NAS

Author: Simon Reap
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cheap and Easy NAS
Philip Stubbs wrote:
> I remember seeing a simple device that would allow USB hard drives to
> be connected. This is the sort of thing that I had in mind, but
> wondered if anybody had any experience with something like this a bit
> more recently.

I have been using a Linksys NSLU2 for several years now, works reliably,
with 2 USB disks currently attached (actually a hard disk and a flash
drive). I did reflash it with a new OS (I think I used UnsLUng 5.5 - a
very old version), but the original OS was fine. I did try to get it to
run as a print server, but the compact flash socket on my Photosmart
P1100 confused it - it worked fine with a Deskjet 930C. The only
drawback I have is that it takes a while to get going (e.g. do an ls of
a drive that you have mounted remotely, and it takes a couple of
seconds to respond. Do the same ls a few seconds later and it responds
immediately). Available from Amazon [1] for 75 quid. There's an active
community for hacking it - see [2] for details.

Simon

[1]
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Cisco-Network-Storage-Drives/dp/B0002ZDQLI
[2] http://www.nslu2-linux.org/