Re: [Hampshire] Media players

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Media players

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56b76100.hantslug.org.uk.22671': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Feb 25 23:37:39 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:25:14PM +0000, trotter wrote:
> Interesting..... its the first player i have
> noticed that does high def mkv file
> format which is the high def equivalent of divx

I think you're confusing container formats and video formats.

MKV is not a video format, and neither is DivX. :)

MVK (Matroska) is a container type that can store a wide range of
different video, audio, and other data formats. DivX is an MPEG4 video
codec (i.e. a piece of software that encodes video according to a
particular profile of the MPEG4 standard). MPEG4 is just one of the
possible formats that could be stored in a Matroska container.

Hugo.

    --- I write in C because using pointer arithmetic lets people ---
               know that you're virile. -- Matthew Garrett