Re: [Hampshire] Media players

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Media players
Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 03:05:24PM +0000, Imran Chaudhry wrote:
>
>> Take a look at Popcorn Hour: http://www.popcornhour.com/
>>
>> I think that will satisfy your tech requirements regarding video but
>> unsure of NFS support. I recall the reviews praising it's lack of
>> noise. Can't vouch for it's stability as I don't have one myself.
>> There are several reviews on the web. Check the forums on the site for
>> user feedback.
>>

>    Oddly enough, someone at work pointed me at this one, too. The
> review in the new LXF is glowing, and the review I found on cnet is
> the same. This looks like it could well be the Right Thing for me.

Heh - definitely /not/ the right thing for me on account of the price,
although it does look rather nice!

Being somewhat limited in funds and with simpler requirements, I
splashed out on one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/d2rgvb
[Western Digital TV HD Media Player]

... and I am very glad that I did.

Quite simple in every way (i.e. looks, build and use), it takes an avi
file on a usb hard drive and plays it on your telly, with none of the
artefacts and faff associated with converting from avi to dvd-friendly
formats. If you have numerous files on your usb hard drive then these
are listed out for you to choose from and searchable.

It'll do flacs and oggs among numerous other sound formats, none of
which I have any use for, and it will also display photos on the telly,
too, which my wife might be interested in.

It cost a little under £100 with postage, which considering you can buy
a similar device with a 500GB drive for less seems a bit expensive. That
said, the build, documentation and support are all excellent, and having
got it from the box to set up and playing avi files with the latest
firmware in about 20 mins, I can say it is nice and easy to use.

I'd recommend it a good deal more heartily if it cost around £75, but I
am pleased with it all the same.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa