[Hampshire] Running linux/BSD on an xbox?

Author: Stuart Matheson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Running linux/BSD on an xbox?
Hey Everyone,

I've got an xbox that is sitting around not doing much so I thought I might
like to have it set up as a server. I'd like to run Apache, MySQL, PHP (for
playing around with stuff) but I'd like to keep the media centre
functionality too. What is particularly important is that I'd still be able
to use the remote control, mainly so my girlfriend can use it without any
drama.

Has anyone had experience setting this kind of thing up? I'm looking for
hints/tips on which OS, partitioning options, application recommendations,
etc. It has been modded and contains a 320GB HDD.

All suggestions welcome (including alternate hardware that would suffice and
is cheap/green as I think the xbox consumes about 100w when running
flat out<http://www.anandtech.com/Linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2271&p=2>
).

Cheers,

Stuart.