Re: [Hampshire] Running linux/BSD on an xbox?

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Running linux/BSD on an xbox?
>> Hey Everyone,
>>
>> I've got an xbox that is sitting around not doing much so I thought I
>> might like to have it set up as a server. I'd like to run Apache, MySQL,
>> PHP (for playing around with stuff) but I'd like to keep the media
>> centre functionality too. What is particularly important is that I'd
>> still be able to use the remote control, mainly so my girlfriend can use
>> it without any drama.
>>
>> Has anyone had experience setting this kind of thing up? I'm looking for
>> hints/tips on which OS, partitioning options, application
>> recommendations, etc. It has been modded and contains a 320GB HDD.
>>
>> All suggestions welcome (including alternate hardware that would suffice
>> and is cheap/green as I think the xbox consumes about 100w when running
>> flat out <http://www.anandtech.com/Linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2271&p=2>).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Stuart.
>>
> http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xebian_HOWTO

Stuart,

I have an Xbox running Xebian and upgraded to Etch, it works pretty
well but be aware of the following:

- I think the stock Xebian kernel is 2.4. I have a 2.6.8 (i think)
kernel in mine but I can't remember how I did it. I think some chap
produced his own Xebian.
- If run from the loopback device performance is very slow. I
experimentally tried a Wordpress (PHP, MySQL) install from it and the
pages were taking 5-10 seconds to load. Install Xebian in a spare
partition. This might be difficult from the default 8Gb HDD. I've
dropped a spare 20Gb HDD in mine.

I have mine almost running "headless" in that I can boot the Xbox, it
boots into the Unleash dashboard where Xebian is the first menu item.
So I can just press A on the joypad to start Xebian, no monitor/TV
need be attached. Also this way, you can launch XBMC or anything else,
as you wanted to keep it.

I also wanted it as internal LAMP box but I also had an idea to
install Trixbox on it with a Cisco VOIP phone. Trixbox required a
later kernel and I didn't get around to taking a vanilla kernel.org
kernel and applying the Xbox patches. I was going to call it TriXBOX
:)

Im