Re: [Hampshire] Running linux/BSD on an xbox?

Top Page
Author: John Wesley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Running linux/BSD on an xbox?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56fbd100.hantslug.org.uk.10535': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Feb 27 23:09:39 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7E5195A52B253F0C
Stuart Matheson wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I've got an xbox that is sitting around not doing much so I thought I
> might like to have it set up as a server. I'd like to run Apache, MySQL,
> PHP (for playing around with stuff) but I'd like to keep the media
> centre functionality too. What is particularly important is that I'd
> still be able to use the remote control, mainly so my girlfriend can use
> it without any drama.
>
> Has anyone had experience setting this kind of thing up? I'm looking for
> hints/tips on which OS, partitioning options, application
> recommendations, etc. It has been modded and contains a 320GB HDD.
>
> All suggestions welcome (including alternate hardware that would suffice
> and is cheap/green as I think the xbox consumes about 100w when running
> flat out <http://www.anandtech.com/Linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2271&p=2>).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stuart.

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xebian_HOWTO

This should be all you need to know :) I might even have the Mech
Assault game somewhere too if you wanted to soft mod it.

Last time I played with it, Freevo was the media centre and worked
pretty well with the remote.

ta

John