Re: [Hampshire] Samba permission problem - this time correct…

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba permission problem - this time corrected
On Saturday 28 February 2009 22:13:33 Keith Edmunds wrote:
> Tim: yes, in essence that sounds right. But the spirit of this should be
> that you understand what I have suggested (try 'man smb.conf' and search
> [slash] in there) rather than just blindly follow something that someone
> has typed as a reply (in this case from memory, untested, etc etc). If you
> have problems /understanding/ it then ask and someone will help. If you
> want to cut 'n' paste from a mailing list into your server's configuration
> files, expect it to break one day! So: make sure you have backups. Make
> sure you understand what is being suggested. Carry out one step at a time
> where possible. Learn, don't mimic.
>
> (All the above meant in a friendly way, OK?)
>
> Keith

Keith I take your comments in the manner they were meant. I realise it is far to
easy to follow somebodies advice\suggestions with out learning anything or
realising they are leading you up the wrong path until it is to late.
Personally I don't do well with man pages, I work a lot better with examples
(your mock up of the share section), you saw the what a mess my previous
smb.conf was which is what I made from reading but to me the most important bit
was it worked......................to a point. Its a lot easier to learn with a
working model than one that does not work (well to me anyway).

You have taken the time to explain along the way which has helped with my
understanding, which I appreciate. I have backups of my data having learn the
hard way like many other. I will test your suggestion, on just one of my shares
and see what happens, if it fails I can revert back to my old one or ask
further question if it does not work the way I thought it should.

Its to late in the day to play with the smb.conf tonight so I will try it out
tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help

Tim