Re: [Hampshire] Drobo

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Drobo
I use TWO different NAS and neither of them are Drobo's.

My favourite is the QNAP T209. This is a 2 drive unit that sits out in
my garage.
I have two 1Tb drives in Raid 1. Underneath, the device runs Linux and
can support even MySql & PHP. I chose to use Raid 1 as the drives are
formatted ext3 so if the device goes belly up, I can take the drives and
used them in a linux system thus avoiding can chance of data loss.
The other using is also a QNAP but this time a 4 drive unit with 4x 1Tb
drives in two Raid 1 arrays.

I was monitoring the CPU & Drive temp when all the snow was around last
month. The lowest CPU temp was 18C.

I looked at building my own unit but in the end, I felt that the OOTB
functionality of these units swayed the day.
The only downside was the fairly noisy fans that are shipped with the
units. I replaced them with ones that are virtually silent and also have
a higher volumetric flow. It is a pity that on bits of kit like this
they scrimp on something like a £10.00 fan.

Stephen D