Re: [Hampshire] Drobo

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Drobo

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 14:23:41 +0000, Stephen Davies
<stephen.davies@???> wrote:
> I use TWO different NAS and neither of them are Drobo's.
>
> My favourite is the QNAP T209. This is a 2 drive unit that sits out in
> my garage.
> I have two 1Tb drives in Raid 1. Underneath, the device runs Linux and
> can support even MySql & PHP.

The Debian embedded folks have got Debian running on QNAP boxes. They are
more expensive than some of the alternatives but actually have reasonable
hardware (CPU and RAM) inside.

> I looked at building my own unit but in the end, I felt that the OOTB
> functionality of these units swayed the day.
> The only downside was the fairly noisy fans that are shipped with the
> units. I replaced them with ones that are virtually silent and also have
> a higher volumetric flow. It is a pity that on bits of kit like this
> they scrimp on something like a £10.00 fan.

Was it easy to do? How noisy would you say the whole unit was now? Do you
know how much power it uses?

Thanks,

Tony