Re: [Hampshire] Debian 5.0 Lenny domU

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: adrian, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian 5.0 Lenny domU

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:50:07 +0000, Adrian Bridgett <adrian@???>
wrote:
> A colleague said he saw problems with the 2.6.26-xen kernel as a DomU
> FWIW. TBH I'd look at KVM as it seems to be the future (I swapped
> from Xen to KVM pretty painlessly).

We might do that move in the future, but for now we have three Xen servers
with quite a few hosts on them, so it's not a trivial move! I'd like to get
the virt-manager stuff working with our Xen servers too to help
administration.

> To answer the question - I think Xen SVM (paravirtualised) is faster
> than Xen HVM (using hardware support) - but I've nothing to back that
> up. Install libc6-xen on DomU. One thing that made a big difference
> (10x) in inter domU network speed was running "ethtool -K eth0 tx off"
> in the DomUs.

Useful tips which I will try!

>> I've also experienced some hard lockups running Debian Etch as a domU,

so
>> hopefully this upgrade will help there too. It's strange because I know
>> Debian as a domU with a Debian dom0 is fine, and Ubuntu as a domU with a
>> Debian dom0 seems OK too.
>
> Worth checking hardware, we had the occasional hang at work on our Xen
> box, but not recently since we upgraded to a later Xen (3.2.1 IIRC).

7.10 still runs Xen 3.1 (hence me being able to be persuaded to upgrade). I
don't think there's any hardware issues as no other hosts on that box
(Ubuntu and Windows 2003 domUs) have had similar problems.

Cheers,

Tony