Re: [Hampshire] Debian 5.0 Lenny domU

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian 5.0 Lenny domU
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 08:24:41 +0000 (+0000), Tony Whitmore wrote:
> I'm looking to set up a Debian 5.0 (Lenny) domU under Xen on hardware that
> supports VT. At the moment the dom0 is running Ubuntu 7.10. (I could be
> persuaded to upgrade it to 8.04 LTS if it helps.) I'd like to ensure that
> the domU performs as well as possible, in particular disk and network. Does
> anyone have any tips about making sure this happens, particular kernels to
> install, settings to tweak etc.

A colleague said he saw problems with the 2.6.26-xen kernel as a DomU
FWIW. TBH I'd look at KVM as it seems to be the future (I swapped
from Xen to KVM pretty painlessly).

To answer the question - I think Xen SVM (paravirtualised) is faster
than Xen HVM (using hardware support) - but I've nothing to back that
up. Install libc6-xen on DomU. One thing that made a big difference
(10x) in inter domU network speed was running "ethtool -K eth0 tx off"
in the DomUs.

> I've also experienced some hard lockups running Debian Etch as a domU, so
> hopefully this upgrade will help there too. It's strange because I know
> Debian as a domU with a Debian dom0 is fine, and Ubuntu as a domU with a
> Debian dom0 seems OK too.

Worth checking hardware, we had the occasional hang at work on our Xen
box, but not recently since we upgraded to a later Xen (3.2.1 IIRC).

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux - the maintainable distribution -*- www.debian.org