Re: [Hampshire] Debian 5.0 Lenny domU

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Tony Whitmore
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian 5.0 Lenny domU
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:16:07 +0000 (+0000), Tony Whitmore wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:50:07 +0000, Adrian Bridgett <adrian@???>
> wrote:
> > A colleague said he saw problems with the 2.6.26-xen kernel as a DomU
> > FWIW. TBH I'd look at KVM as it seems to be the future (I swapped
> > from Xen to KVM pretty painlessly).
>
> We might do that move in the future, but for now we have three Xen servers
> with quite a few hosts on them, so it's not a trivial move! I'd like to get
> the virt-manager stuff working with our Xen servers too to help
> administration.

It's not as painful as you might expect - the only thing that cause
any problem at all for me was the networking (I was doing PCI
passthrough under Xen which doesn't work on KVM unless you have
specific chipsets and bleeding edge code). If it wasn't for that I
think it really would have been as simple as a reboot.

The libvirt stuff ain't bad. Still very immature (as is virt-manager
IMO) but at least it's an abstraction layer of sorts.

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux - the maintainable distribution -*- www.debian.org