Re: [Hampshire] Creating a minimal sized disk image (Virtual…

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Creating a minimal sized disk image (VirtualBox)
john wrote:
> Hi all
>
> For what he wants to do I would use acronis. There are free copies of this
> superb program around.
>
> 1)    In windows defrag the hard disk.
> 2)    Install acronis
> 3)    create iso of acronis
> 4)    back up hard disk Use the acronis program to check that the partition was
> backed up ok.
> 5)    create partition of 14GB
> 6)    install backup using acronis to this new disk
> 7)    make this bootable then run windows to check it runs ok
> 8)    VMware has tools to convert this to VMware system
> 9)    Virtual disk can convert this to virtual disk system

> John Eayrs

John,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm already running Linux on the machine
and would like to achieve this without having to reboot to windows (or
at all) if possible. I also don't want to repartition the drive at the
moment so I'm looking for some way to create a 14gig "drive" that I can
create a DD image of without having to repartition. I wonder if it is
possible to create a virtual drive some how that I could copy the data onto?