Re: [Hampshire] Creating a minimal sized disk image (Virtual…

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Creating a minimal sized disk image (VirtualBox)
Stephen Rowles wrote:
> *snip*
> I wonder if it is
> possible to create a virtual drive some how that I could copy the data onto?

To reply to myself, having had the idea I managed to find this thanks to
friendly google:

http://www.walkernews.net/2007/07/01/create-linux-loopback-file-system-on-disk-file/

It would appear that I can use dd to create a 14gig file, attach this to
/dev/loop0 format the file system, then mount it in Linux and simply use
it as a normal file area.

That would allow me to create a small file area without having to
partition the drive, but I've no idea if I can actually create a
bootable windows image this way. At least it is a start point and good
to know.. any other suggestions welcome :)