Re: [Hampshire] Creating a minimal sized disk image (Virtual…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Creating a minimal sized disk image (VirtualBox)
Stephen Rowles wrote:
> But there are now 2 safe suggestions of things I can try in my lunch time,
> thanks for those that are contributing possible solutions rather than just
> implying I am silly to attempting it ;)

Well, I guess you don't work somewhere where people can and do get
escorted off site for making honest mistakes while trying to resolve an
issue, make improvements, or do someone a favour, and I suspect the
people who are advising caution, like me, do.

I wonder how many stories there are out there of 'completely safe
procedures' that have trashed machines? I mean, 'dd', no chance of a
simple typo causing /that/ to totally screw over a machine, is there? (I
am not implying 'dd' is a safe command there, BTW)

Shit happens, usually when you least need it to (i.e. while you are
under the whip from a project manager), and the advice offered was from
people who have no doubt seen it, done it, or cleared up afterwards, and
simply wanted you to avoid a nasty fall.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa