Re: [Hampshire] JOB: Senior Security Engineer | LOCATION: Lo…

Author: Rik
To: Alan Pope
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] JOB: Senior Security Engineer | LOCATION: London, England, UK

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 07:03 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/4/28 Rik <hlug090104@???>:
> > Good. I found your rant childish and offensive too and I don't feel that
> > walking on egg shells around people that rant is an acceptable response.
> >

> To be fair to Phillip, the guy has spammed tese jobs across multiple
> mailing lists multiple times. So I can understand peoples frustration.
> Taking it out publicly on eachother isn't the way forward though.
>
> > In the time it took you to compose your flaming response to the original
> > mail you could have easily constructed a filter on the word 'job' in the
> > subject line - or even better still - just moved it to 'deleted'.
> >

> Ok, so the hundreds of individuals on multiple mailing lists should
> setup filters to avoid these mails? That's massively inefficient. How
> about the original poster use the mailing list which is provided
> _specifically_ for job posts? LinuxJobs on lug.org.uk.
>
> I also note from Greater London LUG that the person seems to be
> signing up under a different name to avoid such filters. That puts
> paid to the idea of filtering. How many filters will you setup before
> you get pissed off with one guy?
>
> http://lists.gllug.org.uk/pipermail/gllug/2009-April/thread.html
>
> Personally I'd now also like to see JT moderated on _all_ mailing
> lists. I think he's overstepped the bounds of what these (multiple)
> lists are for.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Which brings me back to the point of little list Nazi's. Yawn - this is
all very very boring and a very poor substitute for actual relevant list
content.

The subject clearly contains the word 'JOB' and it is simple enough to
set up a filter on any number of groups to deal with it. If you are not
able to do so why not put some sensible content into the list and
discuss *how* to do it.

If you walk in to a shop selling DVDs and don't happen to approve of
wild life content do you ask the store keeper to clear the shelves of
them just to please you?

This is simply childish and totally pathetic. I suspect, however, that
the little list Nazi's will keep this topic alive beyond the point of
boredom throughout the coming hours and days.