Re: [Hampshire] Samsung NC10

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samsung NC10
jt wrote:

> Sounds good! I don't suppose you've toyed with upgrading the ram in that
> machine too, I understand the max is 2GB? The other thing I am
> interested about and this is again more aligned to a different topic and
> one that perhaps has been covered and availably in the archives - but
> how usable is the SNC10 and similar netbooks. My thoughts were that I'd
> use it as a primary work machine (e-mail, oo, firefox etc..I'm not too
> interested in watching HD or any video content on it!. Its just whether
> or not its really too small to use to work from? I know there are tons
> of reviews for this machine and other netbooks but I cant really get a
> sense of how usable a netbook is for the long haul. thanks, J

My son uses his Acer One pretty much exclusively for his A Level studies
now, although there is one music composition program he runs on the
Windows partition of the boys' desktop machine. If he had a pokier
laptop we might be able to run that in VMware, but then he would lose
the portability which was a big driver for him as he cannot carry large
or heavy objects.

However, that only really includes word processing, MSN-type stuff, Web
browsing and email, and I think if this sort of thing is what you are
looking at doing with it, and you frequently find yourself on the move,
then it is an ideal tool.

If your needs extend beyond this and you don't require the portability,
then you might do well to select a more appropriate horse for your
course. My Dell 430 is not much bigger than the Acer One and is better
featured, but at a price, obviously!

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa