Re: [Hampshire] RAID and LVM boot disks

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] RAID and LVM boot disks
** Vic <lug@???> [2009-06-02 18:55]:
> > [1] No matter how impartial I try to be I have to admit that I have never
> > tried
> > Fedora, largely as a result of the pain that Red Hat has caused me (with
> > RPM
> > dependencies
>
> Dependencies are dependencies - they exist, whatever the distribution.
>
> The thing that never ceases to infuriate me is people who insist on
> blaming rpm for not solving dependencies for them - that's not it's job,
> just like it's not dpkg's job in a Debian-based distro.
>
> If you want to compare Debian's apt with something in a RH-based distro,
> the most apposite comparison would be apt. apt has a very similar
> interface to apt, being the same program, so apt users will quickly become
> accustomed to apt.
>
> You could also compare it to yum, which does a similar job in a slightly
> different way.
>
> But whinging about rpm is just silly - that would be like me complaining
> about dpkg hell on Debian, when yum is so much superior...

** end quote [Vic]

Hang about, I wasn't complaining about RPM, I have no issue with RPM, in fact I
remember reading an article a year or so back comparing RPM and DEB and not
being entirely sure which I would prefer to use on a technical stand point.

Carrying on a bit from the bit you quoted it says "and more recently". My pain
with RPM goes back to 2000(ish) when I abandoned Red Hat for my own use. Back
then Red Hat lacked an equivalent to APT (be it YUM or APT itself) I spent ages
chasing dependencies around trying to upgrade to RPM 4 and install SSH, so when
I found Debian it was a breath of fresh air.

I've not gone back to Red Hat for three reasons; 1) I've not got a driving
reason to change as I did last time, Debian/Ubuntu suits me fine; 2) Red Hat no
longer do a product suitable for non-corporate/enterprise usage (Fedora I
consider too bleeding edge); 3) having used Red Hat support for a customers
machine I have reinforced item 2 (the hardware a boxed copy of RHEL was
installed on wasn't on their supported database so they wouldn't provide
support, even though it had been paid for! Suggestions included "try Google"
and "install Fedora"), additionally if you let your subscription expire you had
best remove Red Hat as it is as good as useless without access to updates
(clearly not specific to Red Hat, Suse is probably the same, as are others).

I tend to consider that Ubuntu has moved into the vacuum that Red Hat left when
they moved their distribution into the traditional Unix market, but I'll leave
my thoughts there since I'm not looking to start a distro war :) As far as I'm
concerned you should use what suites you best, be that Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat,
BSD or even, heaven forbid, Windows.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: