Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...
On Tuesday 06 October 2009 13:56:52 Alan Pope wrote:

> > <optional filter text, e.g. yum grouplist dev*> || ||
> >
> > ||Install a group of package ||  || yum groupinstall <groupname> || ||
>
> Added..

Please could someone add the deal breaker for me, and the reason I have only
ever looked cursorily at rpm/yum systems.

What are the yum equivalents of:
aptitude update
aptitude (safe-)upgrade

and even:
aptitude dist-upgrade
?

This is a question - the basic building blocks of package management - that I
have not succeeded in fully resolving. I have asked at various LUG
gatherings and have always been told that yum is just like apt. It isn't, of
course. It may perform the same job, it may even do so better, but it is not
the same.

And, even more importantly, could someone point me at the FM that explains in
simple terms how to recognise and edit the equivalent
of /etc/apt/sources.list?

I could use - and indeed have used - the GUI tools to do this, but it makes me
feel as uncomfortable as going downhill with an automatic gear-box: out of
control.

TIA
Lisi