Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xorg is hungry today...

> aptitude (safe-)upgrade

I'm still trying to work out exactly what safe-upgrade actually does.

The page I found describing it says :-

"The new action will upgrade a package only if it does not impact other
packages, i-e: if it is necessary to add or remove a dependency package
during upgrade, safe-upgrade won't upgrade."

This seems to say that, although dependencies are checked, they won't be
actioned in any way. That kinda obviates the usefulness of apt(itude),
doesn't it?

> And, even more importantly, could someone point me at the FM that explains
> in
> simple terms how to recognise and edit the equivalent
> of /etc/apt/sources.list?

There's a control file at /etc/yum.conf, which usually includes
/etc/yum.respos.d/*.repo. This means you can do the single-file config if
you like, or you can put each repo you want to use in its own config file.
Your choice (I use the latter).

Vic.