Re: [Hampshire] OT [tech] result of overloading memory slots…

Author: Simon Reap
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT [tech] result of overloading memory slots?
Lisi wrote:
> Put otherwise, could too much RAM fry the mobo, and could it not do so until
> the second boot up after installation?

I've done this a couple of times with no ill effects (usually when I
don't know the motherboard limit, but do have spare sticks or RAM of the
same spec as the existing memory). The machine just recognises its
limit and ignores the rest. I had one laptop which had a limit of
1.2GB, so put a 2GB stick in - it simply ignored the top 0.8 GB.

One worry is that the extra stick might overload the PSU - very unlikely
as memory power draw is not usually large, and the machine is clearly
designed for three sticks so should support them comfortably.

Simon