Re: [Hampshire] OT [tech] result of overloading memory slots…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT [tech] result of overloading memory slots?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56f75100.hantslug.org.uk.6582': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan 17 08:38:32 2010 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Lisi,

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:48:53PM +0000, Lisi wrote:
> I have googled, but can't seem to frame the question in a
> machine-comprehensible form. At least, I am not getting usable answers. :-(
>
> If a motherboard has, say, 3 memory slots, with an overall maximum of one GB,

Wow, sounds like a very old machine!

> and there is 512 MB RAM in each of two of the slots, i.e. the overall limit
> has already been reached; what happens if you put another 512 MB in the third
> slot? And how fast might it happen? In other words, could everything be
> fine on the first boot up after installation, but lie down and die
> thereafter?

In my experience, motherboard manufacturers are quite cautious and
will state that the maximum RAM per slot is the common largest
module that is around at the time (e.g. it was common to see boards
that said max 2GiB per slot, even when 4GiB DIMMs started getting
affordable). Most of the time these boards would take the larger
DIMMs because they all have to conform to a standard.

> Put otherwise, could too much RAM fry the mobo, and could it not do so until
> the second boot up after installation?

I would think that the only likely outcomes are:

(a) It all works, provided you use properly matched RAM
(b) It doesn't recognise RAM past its limits
(c) It doesn't get past BIOS POST but no damage is incurred

However, it is always possible when going outside spec for weird
things to happen, so no guarantees! :)

Cheers,
Andy

"The electric guitar - like making love - is much improved by a little
feedback, completely ruined by too much." -- The League Against Tedium