Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Conference Audio Recording

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Conference Audio Recording
On 19 July 2010 10:29, Philip Stubbs <philip@???> wrote:
> I have been asked to make some audio recordings of a conference. The
> last one I did, I used a cheap Sansa MP3 player that will record the
> FM radio that the audio was transmitted on.
>
> The next one will not be transmitted via FM, so I am looking at how
> best to do it. My first thought is something like a Zoom H2
> http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/
> If the facility also has an induction loop, I could probably connect
> one of these
> http://www.inta-audio.com/pa-live-sound-c88/induction-loop-systems-c243/adastra-adastra-induction-loop-receiver-with-belt-clip-p3066
>
> If anybody has any experience of making good quality audio recordings
> with minimum audience noise at conferences without being ably to jack
> into the sound system, then please let me know if you think my idea
> will work, or if you have any better ideas. We do not need super hi
> fidelity, just clear spoken word.

Normally, you would need authorisation from the conference organisers
to record them.
My law, I believe that conference organisers have to tell their
audience if they think it is going to be recorded.

In all conferences I have been to before, the response has been one of
the followin options:
1) Plug your recording device into this socket.
2) We will give you a copy of our recordings after the event.
3) Provide your own recording equipment, e.g. radio mics etc. if you
wish to record it.

If you cannot use radio mics to record each speaker and any questions
they recieve, I would suggest just getting as many mics into the room
as you can and place them around the plance, so that hopefully, at any
particular time, at lease one will be picking up a good signal.
Zoom mics are also useful for this task.
You can also do signal processing on the mic recordings, and if you
have many of them, you can use digital signal processing to turn them
all into a single very good zoom mic.

Kind Regards

James