Re: [Hampshire] simple description of open source etc.

Author: Jan Henkins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] simple description of open source etc.

On Tue, March 22, 2011 09:59, bryan hunt wrote:

>> there is no catch.
>
> There is a catch.
>

> For any business critical system running on an open source platform -
> you will need skilled practitioners to run it.

Enterprise computing, by nature, needs skilled practitioners and
administrators to keep things afloat. Whether you run your business on
proprietry or FLOSS solutions does not matter, this point remains the
same. So, all in all, there is actually no catch! ;-) With the same token,
what should be made abundantly clear is that FLOSS is not a panacea for
anything, because freedom of choice is not neccessarily free of cost. What
is true though is that the "cost" is calculated differently between
proprietry and FLOSS, because with FLOSS there is generally little or no
capital expenditure for SOHO situations. If you're an outfit like the
London Stock Exchange, moving over to Linux will of course be uproariously
expensive, but in their case the reduction in transaction latency was the
big win.

Anyway, back to the question. I'm sorry that I don't have a ready-made A4
for you, you will have to compile one yourself. There will be numerous
places to grab information for your needs, one reasonably good one I
recently discovered: http://www.osalt.com/

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins