Re: [Hampshire] simple description of open source etc.

Author: bryan hunt
To: jan, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] simple description of open source etc.

> >> there is no catch.
> >
> > There is a catch.
> >

> > For any business critical system running on an open source platform -
> > you will need skilled practitioners to run it.
>
> Enterprise computing, by nature, needs skilled practitioners and
> administrators to keep things afloat. Whether you run your business on

Here's how it is.

I love complex systems. You love complex systems. Everyone on this list
loves complexity. Freedom is complexity. Choice is by nature
complexity.

MCSE file or web server administrator does not like complexity. His role
is very clearly defined. I have a bookshelf. He has a maximum of 20 cm
deep Microsoft manuals.

When something goes wrong that a click will not solve, the shit hits the
fan. But it is not his problem. A superior designates someone more
skilled than him to fix the problem.

When something goes wrong for us we reach for the packet analyser or
whatever we need to make wrong, right. 99% of the time we can fix it
with our generalist skills.

But companies like to compartmentalise, the stupid are more modular.

Where do you want to go today?