Re: [Hampshire] simple description of open source etc.

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] simple description of open source etc.
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 at 09:59:48AM +0000, bryan hunt wrote:

> > there is no catch.
>
> There is a catch.
>
> For any business critical system running on an open source platform -
> you will need skilled practitioners to run it.

Any system will need skills to use, open or closed. It is a lie to
say that because one uses a "familiar" GUI it requires no skill
and that another that uses an "unfriendly" CLI it requires a
skilled expert.

Now I would argue that less skill is required to configure a
Linux/open system rather than a cmparable Windows/closed system,
but that does not mean than no skill is required.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Blessed are the pessimists, for they test their backups.
    -- anon