[Hampshire] NAS reommendations

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: [Hampshire] NAS reommendations
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a good NAS device please? Preferably something I can
get from the high street (Argos, PC World etc) because I need it quickly but
failing that - online's fine. My trusty Linksys NSLU2 seems not to have
survived the move (power supply problem and, as ever, not sure if replacing
the power supply isn't just a probable waste of money).

The NSLU2 accepted 2 USB storage devices (HDDs or even sticks) and allowed
network access to them but worked quite nicely being able to setup password
protected shares, ftp server etc. As mine was quite old, the web interface
was a bit clunky despite firmware upgrade but it did seem to lock off
certain shares for certain users and (not that I tried hard) seemed
unbreakable to crack into. It was also silent - so the only noise came
from the hdds themselves.

Why not just buy another NSLU2? Because the one thing it didn't do was
media streaming. In truth this isn't particularly important to me but if
the new device could do it, it would be good to play my videos and mp3s from
the Wii on the big TV - but no great problem if it can't.

What I really want is a device that can accept the existing 2 USB HDDs I
have (even if I have to reformat them to work) and act as the NSLU2 did.

Anything that's easy to setup, accepts 2 usb hdds and allows user level
access to various shares would be ideal. If the filesystems it uses on the
hdds was not NTFS etc that would also be an advantage. Any advice /
experience anyone?

Cheers

Rob