Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Gladrags and Handbags (was: Re: Help! I…

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Gladrags and Handbags (was: Re: Help! I'm buying a laptop.)

[snip]

> This is true of LUG lists in general, not just this one.

It's interesting that this should crop up now - or coincidental at the
least. Several years ago, I used to read Alan Cox's blog - though I
confess I couldn't make much sense of it. His wife's blog was quite
interesting too. He stopped several years ago but yesterday, I thought it
might be fun to see what he's doing now so hunted around a bit and came
across [1] via wikipedia.

I wasn't part of the original "incident" (or whatever you want to call it)
on this list but [1] really shows just how things can escalate over email.
Here we have the grand daddy of the entire OS which spawned our list IMHO
really having a go at someone for whom if I was ever mentioned in the same
breath I'd be satisfied. I don't take sides as I don't know either AC or
LT personally - but what I will say is I suspect all of this could have been
sorted out with a phone call and a beverage of some description.

Email is great - but by goodness things can escalate out of hand - and that
is not a backhanded criticism of anyone on this list - just meant to show
that even the "greatest" of us can have a barney over email. If you read
other articles it seems that AC got so fed up - he walked away from kernel
hacking.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/28/373

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???