Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Gladrags and Handbags

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Gladrags and Handbags
On 15/01/12 11:03, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:10:24 +0000, sean@??? said:
>
>> Is it just me or was there more by way of hardcore Linux posts pinging
>> back and forth in those days, too?
> It's not just you. I think the big difference is Ubuntu: before it was
> available, the discussions were technical and generally distro agnostic.
> These days the discussions tend to be less technical and more about how to
> achieve Y in distro Z. There's even a tendency towards assuming the
> reader uses Ubuntu too with statements like, "I'm running Awful
> Albatross" without qualifying that that is a version of Ubuntu.
> Finally, there is a misunderstanding of the expectations of
> pre-release/beta software.
>
> This is true of LUG lists in general, not just this one.

I suspect you are right Keith.

I think too that the quality of material available on forums has
improved and is generally more reliable than it was, especially in the
case of the distro-specific issues you mention.

And perhaps we are all a bit smarter too. These days I am better at
digging around myself for answers than I was, and many of the issues I
used to regularly encounter seem to have disappeared, possibly due to
the increasingly homogenised (is that the right word?) nature of modern
Linux distros, with the better features quickly finding their way into
the mix, as it were.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???