[Hampshire] Yet more on DVD+RW ripping

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Yet more on DVD+RW ripping
Hi all

[OK - if you're sick of the sight of emails from me about ripping DVDs - I
don't blame you and you're probably best not reading further]

For the hardy breed that have gone past that disclaimer please bear with me.
I have these 200+ "DVD+RWs" recorded since 2004 and the following phenomena
have been observed.

1) Very few (10-20%) play ok in either a DVD player, a DVD drive on a PC, a
console or (most irritatingly) the darn machine that recorded them.

2) In most cases, if playing though the DVD recorder that recorded them - it
gets to around 40-50 minutes in and just about freezes. Identical, you
might think to the disk being dirty - but they have been well looked after
and are pristine.

3) Ripping software has (because the content has camera angle moving) proved
pretty bad. All sorts of results from delayed audio, to "wavy" vertical
lines when the camera angle moves and nothing has fixed this. I've tried
Handbrake, Alcohol52%, DVD Decrypter, Digiarty and just about everything
else suggested.

4) This is what's really odd... I have just created an iso from a DVD+RW
showing the behaviour in 2) above. Mounting this and "playing a DVD" it
seems to work fine!

Now here's the dilemma as I need to get a working strategy to get rid of 200
disks as I hope to move house shortly...

a) Why is making an iso working when I can neither rip nor play these things
properly?

b) If I simply make iso images of these disks, this is equivalent to making
a copy of the disk itself is it not? As such, if I happen to find a
workable ripping solution at some stage later - all I have to do is mount
the iso do I not? In other words, I'm not losing anything at all by
creating an iso - that is right isn't it?

The reason b) is bothering me so much is that my current method of watching
these ripped videos and dvds is via a netgear neotv which is a little box
under the tv that can understand most file formats. I very much doubt if
it will understand isos. To be honest, I don't care if it doesn't
understand isos if one day I can transform these isos I will be creating
into avis, mpgs or whatever but it's proved impossible so far to go from
dvd+rw to avi. Perhaps iso to avi at some later stage might be easier -
but the key is I don't want to lose anything in the process of going from
dvd+rw to iso.

Sorry this has been a bit rambling but I've spent a lot of time over the
last few years building up this library - I don't want to lose the physical
media in the move and I certainly don't want to lose the content thanks to
an oversight.

After all this - my question boils down to - do I lose anything if I create
an iso of a dvd+rw image?

Cheers

Rob

--