Re: [Hampshire] Yet more on DVD+RW ripping

Author: john
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Yet more on DVD+RW ripping
Hi

This is my take on DVD's.

DVDs recorded on one DVD writor may not be read on a different DVD writer.

I sometimes found that I could not read a written DVD. I found that using K3b
to make an iso copy sometimes solves the problem.

I have made over 1000 DVDs. I have found from experience that I have always
needed to have make 2 copies to ensure retrieval of the data at a later date.
It helps to keep the DVDs in a dark place.

I have come to the conclusion that it it is more sensible to keep data on 2
external hard disks one hard disk being a copy of the other.

I have found that DVDs that i copied data onto 4 years ago can have a 10%
failure rate. My policy of having a DVD copy has been data saving.

For converting DVD VOBs to other media formats I have found "format factory"
running in WINE to give very good results. It has worked while Handbrake
failed. Web Site is http://www.formatoz.com/.

John Eayrs

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???