Re: [Hampshire] Yet more on DVD+RW ripping

Author: Full Circle Podcast
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Yet more on DVD+RW ripping
Rob,
an ISO image of the disk is as good (or bad) as the disk itself; image
quality, menus, navigation is all intact, it's similar to doing DD on a
hard drive. Once you've got an ISO you should be able to run the .vob files
through another conversion utility (I've just done it in Openshot of all
things!), or re-capture in new format using VLC's convert function, or just
re-record it through VLC; sans menus and navigation obviously.

Sounds like your DVD player is struggling with old media; either the laser
is losing focus or the sub-strata in the old disks are starting to
crystalise. Not all optical media last so well, even branded disks. Copy
them, back up and throw anything that gives you trouble.

Rgds
RC

Robin Catling
Full Circle Podcast