Re: [Hampshire] Demo talks

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Demo talks
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:16:44 +0000
Adrian Bridgett <adrian@???> wrote:

> [2] Slypheed Claws for example

I get the feeling this is aimed at me :)

I don't know what I can say tho' other than install one of the
variants of sylpheed (basic sylpheed, sylpheed-claws or the one I use
sylpheed-claws-gtk2)

If you want to use the available plugins then you really need the
gtk2 version as there are far fewer for the basic versions. You can
install the plugins individually or via a meta package that gets the
lot.

If you are installing using apt and you don't have spamassassin or
clamav already they will be pulled in as dependencies of the
plugins.

Plugins allow things like syncing with widows CE devices whatever
they are :-) more useful tho are the ones that use dillo to read
html, deal with pgp and so on.

Set it up to collect from wherever you collect mail from and it just
works. It looks much like any other gui mailreader. The appearance
easily configurable and there are a number of themes you can use
if you don't like the default.

You can have multiple 'identities' and sylpheed will respond
appropriately when replying.

Default storage is MH, which means each email is stored as an
individual file and not lumped into one humongous file. One of the
plugins can convert between MH and other ways of doing it so you can
import/export your archived mail.

You do need to tweak spamassassin/clamav but this is normal and there
are a couple of entries on the wiki about how to do it.

and that's about it really

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application