Re: [Hampshire] md5 check

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] md5 check

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56c41100.hantslug.org.uk.408': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Nov 14 20:59:05 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Tuesday 14 November 2006 20:33, hantslug@??? wrote:
> I have truly Googled on several occasions and got nowhere.
>
> I seem to remember that there is a command where if you put the md5sum of
> anyprog and the iso of anyprog in the same directory and switched to that
> directory you could get the command line to tell you whether the iso is all
> right. So far recently I have managed by computing the md5 sum and
> comparing the result and the supplied one manually.

There may be GUI tools that do this, k3b does with ISOs I think, but from the
command line:

$ md5sum foo bar
ff2600aeb3fb8a3fa6913fd167f06b7b foo
37c1d9d82806731cf4595c443fd90eb5 bar

Seems to work for me. All you need is to know where the two files are that you
wish to compare. Is that what you are trying to do? or are you trying to do
something clever like md5sum the file foo and the file foo inside an ISO?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair
weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain.
    --  Robert Frost