Re: [Hampshire] md5 check

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] md5 check
On Tuesday 14 Nov 2006 21:40, Andy Random wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 hantslug@??? wrote:
> > I seem to remember that there is a command where if you put the md5sum of
> > anyprog and the iso of anyprog in the same directory and switched to that
> > directory you could get the command line to tell you whether the iso is
> > all right. So far recently I have managed by computing the md5 sum and
> > comparing the result and the supplied one manually.
> >
> > But I have now got an md5sum file that does not appear to be humanly
> > readable. So I _need_ the command line to do it for me - but how??
>
> I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but will
>
> md5sum -vc somefile.md5
>
> where somefile.md5 contains a line something like
>
> ed368f05371757064c5ec0ceca627ae5 somefile
>
> do what you want?
>
> Though if your md5 checksum file is not humanly readable this might not
> help, I don't think I've ever seen one that isn't, but you might try
> adding the "-b" (binary) option as well.

Thank you, Adam and Andy. You both answered my question by pointing me in the
right direction - in spite of my not having phrased my question very
comprehensibly. That, no doubt, was why Google has had trouble answering me.

Anyhow, I have now succeeded in checking my downloaded iso against the
supplied md5sum, have burnt it and test run it. All successfully. \o/

Lisi