Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel
> If they've licenced this under GPL, I reckon that contains an implicit
> licence to use their trademark as well[1].
>
> [1] IANAL, obviously, but I think I'm going to go talk to a few people who
> are...

Quite by coincidence, something similar has come up on Groklaw. It's
talking about patents, rather than trademarks, but this is what's said of
Sun's GPL-ing of Java :-

"They are pointing out now that there is no patent risk. They are an IP
creator, not just a redistributor, so there is no royalty required to be
paid to anybody. By donating code to the GPL, the patent freedom goes with
it."

By this argument[1], if the Mozilla Foundation releases code under the GPL
that makes use of its trademarks, that use would be covered under
derivative works, as per all the other rights conferred by the GPL...

Vic.

[1] And I don't know if it does :-)