Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft makes claim on Linux code

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Microsoft makes claim on Linux code

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x580f2100.hantslug.org.uk.3804': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Nov 22 18:59:48 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 02:33:10PM +0000, John Cooper wrote:
>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>
>    This is almost unreadable. Please could you configure your mail
> client to send either plain text, or a multipart-MIME message with
> plain text and HTML parts.

Hear, hear. :)

<snip>
>    That said, I've not been 100% impressed with the scores generated
> by Sibelius, either (I haven't used it in 10 years, but I've used the
> scores from other people). The default layout that Sibelius generates
> is "acceptable", but actually quite difficult to read at times. I'm
> sure you can tweak it to something better, but IME nobody has the
> inclination or expertise to do so. The sample output I've seen from
> Lilypond looks a lot better than some of the things I've seen from
> Sibelius.

And Sibelius is horrible when running multiple versions. There's a
licence server that requires a Mac or Windows box to run, that's a pain
to install, configure and (in the event of wanting to migrate the
service) reinstall. They all require long hours spent on the phone to
their technical support.

One of the personal joys I take in FLOSS is the lack of licence
restrictions like this and how much time is saved when setting up
software when you can just do what you like with it.

Tony