Re: [Hampshire] Where to buy an old PCMCIA NIC?

Author: john eayrs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Where to buy an old PCMCIA NIC?
Andy Random

> A friend has asked me the best place to pick up a PCMCIA network card for
> an old laptop.
>
> He'd ideally like a shop somewhere in the Southampton/Portsmouth area, but
> I guess online would do.
>
> The key point is that the laptop is 6+ years old (and running Windows
> 98... yes, yes I know:) and while he doesn't know exactly what it will or
> won't support he's concerned that if he buys a brand new card the laptop
> will refuse to talk to it.
>
> Any suggestions?

I would try Maplins Southampton. PCMIA is a standard and I know 8 year old
laptops have no trouble with it. Maplins has a 14 day returns policy so if
the PCMIA does not work he should be able to get his money back.

In fact he should be able to buy it, walk outside the shop, try it, and then
return it if it refuses to work in the laptop.

John Eayrs