Re: [hampshire] Data recovery

Author: Jonathan Hudson
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [hampshire] Data recovery
Alasdair Ross wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Tonight, a friend of mine has accidentally deleted some important photos
> from her digital camera.
> Does anyone know how it might be possible to recover the data stored on
> the memory card (xD card), or of any good data recovery companies which
> could do this. She says that she has taken only 1 photo since she deleted
> the photos from the card and I assume that the memory on the card will be
> marked as being free (rather than the data being overwritten) so it should
> be possible to recover some of the data.
> I haven't attempted any kind of data recovery before so I am reluctant to
> try anything without any advice.
>
> Yours, grateful for any help,
> -Alasdair-

If it's a FAT (MSDOS) file system, then I have distance memories that
all that happens is that the directory entry gets marked as deleted,
but recovery should be possible. If she's on Windows, you could try
something like
<http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/download.htm> (assiming
you can bypass some "helpful" camera utility), on Linux fsck.vfat or
mundelete <http://sourceforge.net/projects/mundelete/> should do the job.

-jonathan