Re: [hampshire] Data recovery

Author: Alasdair Ross
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [hampshire] Data recovery
Thank you all very much for the advice. You've helped make my friend very
happy.
I used dd to make the backup as suggested (I had thought about doing that
but didn't know the syntax) and then used Photorec on the image created by
dd.

The simplicity of Photorec has made me more confident to tackle other
recovery issues although there didn't seem to be any documentation available
for it that I could see (only for TestDisk). I don't think that the backup
image was strictly necessary when using Photorec as it copied all the
recovered files to a specified directory (rather than alter the image).

So, thanks again!
-Alasdair-