Re: [Hampshire] Spam

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Spam
Tim wrote:
> I don't have a mail server but collect all my e-mails from my ISP with Kmail
> and run it through spamassissin. Now this collects a large amount of the spam
> but still some is getting through.
>
> I reguarly run training on those that get through but it does not seem to make
> a lot of differences. At the moment the spam score is set to 5 (which must be
> the default as I have never changed it). Currently in my uncaught spam box I
> have mails with a score of between 1.6 and 4.9.
>
> I found the /.spamassissin/users_prefs file but all the lines in there are
> commented out, I did change the score to 4.5 and restarted spamassin but it
> made no difference as it still says in e-mails that the score is 5

I would say that 4.5 is a bit generous, personally, but then I don't get
a huge amount of unsolicited email.

I use the [black|white]lists and have a threshold of 3. The only thing
that is a bother at the moment is the image spam that is slipping
through, and I have been using Thunderbird's filters to grab that by the
'multipart/related;' content type with a reasonable degree of success.

Sean