[Hampshire] I Feel Guilty...!

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] I Feel Guilty...!

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57423100.hantslug.org.uk.7185': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Dec 15 18:10:07 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
Hi,

A friend asked me to help him set up his mother-in-laws computer so she could
read email. I often help friends and family for free but I refuse to touch
stolen software and I encourage the use of open source software whenever
practical.

Todays question was how to set up Microsoft Outlook. I said quite honestly
that I couldn't recommend it in any shape or form, and more importantly I've
never actually set it up, and only use it at work because I'm forced to.

I now feel guilty for not helping, he didn't want to install anything else -
which I would have offered to help with. He feels that he must use Microsoft
Outlook as it came with that from Dell and as everyone uses it, it must be
the best? He trusts me enough to ask for my advice but not enough to actually
follow through.

I'd happily give him The OpenCD but I know that wouldn't help either... By not
helping I've driven him deeper into the Microsoft tar pit, but he really
doesn't want to be helped out, which I feel bad about as he is a nice chap.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity
has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
    -- Richard Dawkins