Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Peter Gutmann on Vista Content Protecti…

Author: Jamie Webb
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Peter Gutmann on Vista Content Protection
On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 06:29:36PM +0000, john lewis wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 13:25:24 +0000
> "James Courtier-Dutton" <james.dutton@???> wrote:
>
> > Don't worry. I don't think open source will get round to
> > implementing all these content protection features. open source
> > developers only implement what users want, and users don't want any
> > of this content protection. Just take DVD playing as an example.
> > How many Linux media players support region protection?...none.
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of this vista stuff being
> incorporated into next generation motherboards which will then
> prevent linux from running at all

I don't think there's much risk of future hardware simply not working
with Linux. At the very least, the server market isn't just going to
roll over.

The only danger is that newer multimedia stuff won't be available. To
be honest, I don't see that as much of a loss. If you insist on
consuming the shit that the content cartels feed you, you deserve
whatever you get.

/J