Re: [Hampshire] how do I use a live cd without a cd drive

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] how do I use a live cd without a cd drive
On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 11:46 +0000, Will Davies wrote:
> My laptop doesn't have a optical drive and I'd really like to test drive
> some live CDs.
> I've tried to find what I need on the web but keep finding specific
> instructions for
> individual distros.
> I feel there ought to be a way of loading from an iso image on disk or
> storing the image contents
> in its own partition that is maybe made to look like a cd in some way.
> Does anyone have an experience of this or pointers to offer.
> TIA

http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html

"Install GNU/Linux without any CD, floppy, USB-key, nor any other
removable media"

Ok it says "install" and not "boot", but there are some tips there that
might be useful.

The QEMU option suggested by others may well be a good way to do it.
There is a version of QEMU for windows:-

http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/

Cheers,
Al.