Re: [Hampshire] how do I use a live cd without a cd drive

Author: Mark Johnson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] how do I use a live cd without a cd drive
Will Davies wrote:
> My laptop doesn't have a optical drive and I'd really like to test
> drive some live CDs.
> I've tried to find what I need on the web but keep finding specific
> instructions for
> individual distros.
> I feel there ought to be a way of loading from an iso image on disk or
> storing the image contents
> in its own partition that is maybe made to look like a cd in some way.
> Does anyone have an experience of this or pointers to offer.

Hi Will,
If you install qemu (a virtualisation program) you can boot into isos
using the following command:
qemu -cdrom filename.iso -boot d
It won't be as fast as running it normally from your optical drive, but
it'll do the job in your situation (assuming you've got enough RAM and a
reasonable processor)

HTH,
Mark