Re: [Hampshire] how do I use a live cd without a cd drive

Author: Jim Kissel
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] how do I use a live cd without a cd drive

Will Davies wrote:
> My laptop doesn't have a optical drive and I'd really like to test drive
> some live CDs.
> I've tried to find what I need on the web but keep finding specific
> instructions for
> individual distros.
> I feel there ought to be a way of loading from an iso image on disk or
> storing the image contents
> in its own partition that is maybe made to look like a cd in some way.
> Does anyone have an experience of this or pointers to offer.

Does your laptop have a USB and can you BIOS allow you to boot from USB
thumb drives? If yes, you can "burn" "most" live distro's to a thumb
drive and boot from it.

The other alternative that comes to mind is a Flashdrive with or without
IDE adaptor. Again depends on you laptop and BIOS whether or not this
is a viable option.

BTY slim-line "laptop" CD/DVD drives with R/W can be had for less than
£50 if your laptop has the room. Slim-line RO CD only are about 1/2
that price.