Re: [Hampshire] how do I use a live cd without a cd drive

Author: Graham Bleach
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] how do I use a live cd without a cd drive
On 24/12/06, Will Davies <wmd04r@???> wrote:
> My laptop doesn't have a optical drive and I'd really like to test drive
> some live CDs.
> I've tried to find what I need on the web but keep finding specific
> instructions for
> individual distros.

The solutions already provided are probably better suited to your
needs, but it's worth mentioning that some distros provide network
boot images, so if your laptop supports PXE booting, you might try
network booting into a live distro. Ubuntu for one supports this, it
would be possible to make almost any live CD network bootable given
time and effort.

You'd need to be comfortable configuring a DHCP server and TFTP server.